Friday 21 May 2010

What's that coming over the hill?

I thought I would share with you some of the work I have created over the last few years that I have had hidden away. Almost all of it has never been seen by anyone before and its not really in my usual chirpy sketchstitch style.

I'm just trying to find my way at the moment but I think its going to take a while. This will be the darkest stuff you ever see from me (I hope) but I am working on a body of work at the moment that has some similar creatures to the ones found in some of these paintings- but with a lighter feel.

These paintings were done in oil and its amazing how your style can change so much with different paint- I usually use gouache for a more controlled approach. I start slapping it all over the place when I work in oil. I'm going to start uploading a lot more of the work I do for myself from now on (instead of shoving it under the bed).

I think so far Ive only really shown cushions Ive been working on or artwork relating to whats for sale on folksy. These paintings are much more personal to me.






3 comments:

  1. Goodness.. These are incredible. The second, third and fifth are in my opinion the strongest pieces which stand out the most. I can't wait to see more. I sense real sorrow through these pictures, I hope you don't mind me saying so - and if these are personal works, it just proves how we as artists are capable of showing emotion in so many different & amazing ways.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the enormous comment on my blog :) I thought I'd reply here as you're more likely to see it!

    I'm a true artist at heart, but I turned to photography because I wanted my work to look "real", and it was never real enough! I wanted my work to look as though it was a capture of an exact moment in time rather than a representation.
    Although the work on my dearestjackdaw blog are light, airy & pretty, over on my other blog is my more personal work and a lot of it is much darker (past all the pretty client work!) And my flickr has loads of personal work which you might like http://www.flickr.com/louise-knight/ definitely had to split the two types of photography though as they're such different styles!

    I do wish I was more handy with a paint brush though.. Give me a 2B pencil however & I'm away ;)

    if there's anywhere else I can see more of your personal work please do let ke know, it's so beautiful in it's own right..

    X

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are fabulous paintings, so much to look at, lots of troubled expressions. I think some of these would translate brilliantly into monster plushies! x

    ReplyDelete