Sunday 30 January 2011

Moving on

The last week or so I've been busy with some new paintings. I've been exploring combining elements of different work I have done in the past. I've tended to swing from high to low before through extremes of creepy or cute- I think I am starting to reach a balance between the two that is true to my own personal style.

In the past I've always tended to work in gouache for more lighthearted work and oil paint for the darker stuff, until now I had never tried acrylic. I feel I can get the controlled/expressive balance a lot easier using the acrylic, I cant believe I've never tried it before. I'm going to spend the next few weeks just getting comfortable with the paint and exploring the new images and characters I've started to create. In the photo below most of the paintings are still a work in progress and are not completed yet but it gives you an idea of what I've been up to.


I'm not sure I'm happy with the name Sketchstitch any more- I have an urge to tidy things up and start afresh. Over the last year since I started my blog I have been exploring so many different areas from sewing creatures to illustration and fine art. Dabbling here and there really but I've gone back to pretty much where I left off when I graduated nearly ten years ago. I studied textile design and by far my favourite subject throughout the four years was visual studies- exploring mark making, materials, creativity and imagination. All the other blogs I read everyone seems so focused and clear in their direction, I'd love to know if any of you reading this have experienced this style finding I seem to be going through.

7 comments:

  1. I love your new work it is gorgeous! such fab colours and designs too.

    I have been through a lot of 'style finding' over the years and have had several different names and blogs lol, it seems to be the cool thing to do ;o)
    I have to say I am quite settled and happy where I am for now though, for the first time in a long time :)

    Micki x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Micki- thanks so much for the positive feedback its always a bit daunting putting out new work- I thought I'd just show a quick snap of what I've been up to.
    You've made me feel better about things- its nice to know i'm not alone in this 'style finding' and that you've experienced this over the years too- I think I just might come up with a new name and blog

    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your new paintings look very good. I often dabble in other crafts but jewellery is my main thing, however even that has so many avenues i'm still trying to work out exactly what it is i'm doing. lol. xx

    Fiona @ Christals Creations

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fiona- thanks for your comments, I hope you manage to figure things out too, I guess its a creative process that can take a bit of time

    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so strange reading this because I'm also going through a similar 'creative identity' crisis,lol. I have a new name in mind and just want to start afresh too.I love your new work with acrylic;seems like the perfect medium for you.Can't wait to see more :)xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cassandra- a creative identity crisis is just what it is! Hope you are able to sort things out too, it can be really tricky finding just the right thing to work on. I really enjoy working with the acrylic but it feels like another whole new world has opened up to me- so I may be searching for my creative identity for some time

    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I needed to read this TODAY. I like what you called it "Style Finding" that makes me feel better about what I have been doing, I mean your post is right on time for me I see you posted this in January but today I was blog surfing and clicked around your place and ran into it.
    Thanks Again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete